Assurant contributes $200 for individual coverage ($400 family) to this account. You also may be able to earn wellbeing rewards.
You are not allowed to contribute to the account.
This is an account that accompanies the GREEN or ORANGE Plan options. You elect to open this account when you enroll. Assurant contributes to your account
The money in your HSA always belongs to you. Also, with the HSA you can:
- Choose to save all or part of the money each year for future health care expenses, and
- take the HSA with you if you leave Assurant (but you will be responsible for all account fees).
If you want to participate in either the GREEN or ORANGE Plan option but don’t qualify for an HSA, please contact HR Services at 866.324.6513, or MyHR@assurant.com within 4 days of enrollment to avoid any adverse tax consequences. Please note: If you maintain an HSA that is not affiliated with current enrollment in an Assurant Health Plan option with an HSA such as the GREEN and ORANGE Plan options, you are responsible for paying the monthly account fee and any other fees. Assurant will not cover fees related to
Assurant will make a contribution to your HSA based upon which coverage level you elect ($200 individual/$400
You also may elect to contribute to your HSA on a pre-tax basis. Unlike other pre-tax benefits, you can start, stop or change your HSA contributions at any time during the year through MyHR. There are IRS limits to the amount of money you can contribute
Health Savings Account (HSA) Contributions
Review the maximum contribution amounts for 2019 Health Savings Accounts (HSA) below. Reminder: Assurant also contributes to your HSA. Look for the deposit into your HSA a few days after your first pay period once your HSA is in effect.
|Maximum Annual Contribution Allowed by the IRS|
|Catch-Up Contributions (must be at least age 55 by Dec. 31, |
• Contributions that exceed the IRS maximums are not tax deductible and are subject to a 20 percent excise tax. Company contributions and earned wellness incentives are included within the maximum contribution limit.
• “Family” includes Employee & Spouse/Domestic Partner, Employee & Child(ren) and Employee & Family.
Assurant will pay monthly account maintenance fees for employees enrolled in the GREEN or ORANGE Plan option with a HealthEquity HSA. If you do not enroll in the GREEN or ORANGE Plan option and have an HSA (through another administrator), you will be responsible for all fees associated with that HSA.
You are not required to contribute to an HSA in order to receive the
You'll be charged a fee of $1 per month for paper statements. If you haven’t done so already, elect to receive your statement electronically and save $1 every month. Log onto myhealthequity.com.
Contributions to your HSA will be invested in an
Using Your HSA
The funds in your HSA can be used to pay for your qualified health care expenses, including your deductible or coinsurance. Since you own the HSA, you can decide how to use the money in it. You can withdraw HSA funds pre-tax to pay for current qualified health care, dental or vision expenses, or save the money and allow it to grow for use toward health care expenses in the future or in retirement.
Accessing HSA Funds
If you enroll in the GREEN or ORANGE Plan option and are eligible for an HSA, you will receive a debit card from HealthEquity in the mail. To access your HSA funds:
• You can use your debit card to pay for eligible expenses such as prescriptions, deductibles
Eligibility for an HSA
To be eligible for an HSA, you must meet the following criteria:
• Have a qualified high deductible health plan (such as the GREEN or ORANGE Plan options)
• Have no other health coverage except what is permitted as other health coverage by the IRS
• Not be enrolled in Medicare
• Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return
• Not have access to dollars in a General Purpose Flexible Spending Account (FSA) that can pay for any medical expenses before the HSA’s required deductible is met, including a spouse’s Health Care FSA. Limited Purpose
If you enroll in a GREEN or ORANGE Plan option with an HSA on MyEPIC
If you are ineligible for an HSA and therefore do not open an account, Assurant’s contribution will be deposited in your paycheck as taxable income.
Additional confirmations you will make by consenting to
• You understand that in compliance with the USA Patriot Act, HealthEquity must verify the identity of all individuals who seek to open an HSA. As part of this identity verification process, you may be asked to provide additional information and/or documentation before your account can be established. If you do not provide this information, an account will not be opened for you, you will not receive a company contribution into an HSA, but Assurant's contribution will be deposited into your paycheck as taxable income.
• You understand that your enrollment and health information will be shared with HealthEquity for the purpose of administering and coordinating payments under your Health Savings Account.